Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

On September 11, 2001, I was young 19 year-old living in Dallas, TX. In 2 months I would be leaving to serve a church mission. At the time I was working for a pool cleaning company saving up money to go on this mission. I was driving my work truck in Plano, TX when the news started coming over the radio. As I pulled up to a stop light, I felt like someone had punched me in the gut as the wind was knocked out of me. I looked out my side windows as the other drivers did the same. We had a moment of understanding as we all stared back at each other.

I pulled my vehicle over to the side of the road and I prayed. There was not much else I could do other than pour my heart out to God. I prayed for those in harm's way. I prayed for those who had died and for their families. I prayed for hope. I prayed for my family. I prayed for our country. Then, I went back to work.

I went through the day as if in a trance. Some of the customers invited me into their home to watch the news for a short while when I came to clean their pool. We talked as if we were close friends. We truly became united as a people that day. Trivial differences and insecurities didn't matter.

This blog is about freedom and justice. Writing this blog and reflecting on 9/11 is humbling. I am thankful to live in the United States of America. Compared to much of the world we enjoy so much freedom, safety and justice. We can live and enjoy the pursuit of happiness. We are blessed. This day I will say another prayer. It will be similar to that prayer I offered 10 years ago, except I will give more thanks. This is a truly great nation and there is much to be thankful for. May we find peace and humility this day. May we never forget the tragedy of 9/11, those who passed, and how we were united. May the Lord comfort those that stand in need of comfort and may his love replace hate. This is my prayer.




Stories of the great boat lift on 9/11. The largest sea evacuation in history with over 500,000 rescued by boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment