Wednesday, March 16, 2011

To Adrian Peterson- Playing in the NFL is not like Modern Slavery

NFL superstar Adrian Peterson made an unfortunate comment after a setback in the players union and NFL negotiations.

"It's modern-day slavery, you know?" said Peterson. "People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money ... the owners are trying to get a percentage, and bring in more money."

Now I'm not here to debate the negotiations between the NFL and who's in the right as far as the NFL is concerned. It's just unfortunate that Adrian Peterson would refer to it as modern-day slavery, when real modern-day slavery does exist.

I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was upset at the turn in negotiations and many of us are prone to say uninformed and stupid things in the heat of the moment, myself very much included. I know what it tastes like to have my shoe in my mouth.

Green Bay Packer's player, Ryan Grant, tweeted the following in response. "Actually still slavery existing in our world. Literal modern day slavery. That was a very misinformed statement...I understand the point he was trying to make, I just feel he should have been advised a little differently."

Seeing as nearly 1 year ago I was misinformed and ignorant of modern slavery, I for one am willing to cut Adrian Peterson some slack in hopes he will become more informed on the issue, withdraw his comments and help bring some new awareness to actual modern-day slavery around the world and here in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment